‘My Mother Is Being Framed’, Remanded Over Fresh Kidnap Allegation — Daughter Of Ex-Ekiti APC Aspirant Olawumi | Sahara Reporters
She said this is over a fresh allegation of conspiracy to kidnap two men, despite the family’s claim that the case differs from the offence for which she was initially arrested.
Ololade Adeniyi, the daughter of former Ekiti State All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship aspirant, Mrs Abimbola Olajumoke Olawumi, has raised the alarm, alleging that her mother is being framed after she was remanded at the Ado-Ekiti Correctional Facility.
She said this is over a fresh allegation of conspiracy to kidnap two men, despite the family’s claim that the case differs from the offence for which she was initially arrested.
Adeniyi told SaharaReporters on Saturday, August 15, 2026, that her mother was taken into custody by operatives of the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) Unit on Wednesday, August 6, after the unit flew from Abuja to Ekiti State to produce her before the Chief Magistrate Court 1 in Ado-Ekiti.
According to her, her mother was arraigned before the court the same day and subsequently remanded at the correctional facility, where she has remained detained.
Adeniyi, however, alleged that the charge used to obtain the fresh remand order was completely different from the offence for which her mother was initially arrested and detained.
“I have now reviewed the charge sheet and noticed a very serious issue. The offence forming the basis of this second remand was completely different from the offence for which she was initially arrested and remanded,” she said.
She said the second remand followed an application by the Ekiti State Commissioner of Police, dated July 28, 2026, over an allegation bordering on conspiracy to kidnap and arranging the abduction of Olaniyan Gbolahan and Kazeem Muli at Oke Ako, Ekiti State, on October 23, 2025.
Adeniyi questioned the circumstances surrounding the fresh allegation and the procedure allegedly used to keep her mother in custody.
“I must particularly draw your attention to the manner in which my mother’s remand was obtained,” she said.
“She was remanded using what is known as Form K, a practice that has, regrettably, become common in this jurisdiction.”
According to her, the process involves bringing a suspect before a Magistrate Court that does not have jurisdiction to try the alleged offence, primarily to obtain a remand order while investigations continue and authorities await the Director of Public Prosecutions’ (DPP) legal advice.
“There is a serious concern about using this process to keep someone in custody while the investigation is supposedly ongoing and while waiting for the DPP’s legal advice,” she added.
Adeniyi also raised questions about the identity and circumstances surrounding one of the alleged victims, Gbolahan, whom her mother is accused of conspiring to kidnap.
“There is also a significant issue concerning the alleged victim, Mr Olaniyan Gbolahan, whom my mother is now accused of conspiring to kidnap,” she said.
“Mr Gbolahan was allegedly kidnapped from a farm belonging to Yemisi Joluwe, who was also the complainant in the earlier cyberbullying matter involving my mother.”
According to Adeniyi, there is an apparent contradiction between the new allegation against her mother and statements reportedly made by Gbolahan after his release.
She alleged that Gbolahan publicly stated that he was abducted by Fulani bandits operating in Ekiti State and did not identify her mother or anyone acting on her behalf as responsible for his abduction.
“More importantly, Mr Gbolahan himself reportedly stated publicly after his release that he had been kidnapped by Fulani bandits operating in Ekiti State, and not by my mother or anyone acting on her behalf,” Adeniyi said.
“I have proof of this from his X page and I can provide the documents for your review.”
Adeniyi questioned how her mother could be accused of arranging the abduction when, according to her, the alleged victim had publicly attributed his kidnapping to bandits.
“That is one of the things we want the public to look at carefully. We want people to see the evidence and ask how these allegations against my mother are connected to what the alleged victim himself said about his abduction,” she said.
She also appealed to the media and human rights organisations to scrutinise the circumstances surrounding her mother’s detention.
“My mother remains at the Ado-Ekiti Correctional Facility and we urgently need public attention and media advocacy on this matter,” Adeniyi said.
“We are asking for this matter to be properly scrutinised because my mother has now been placed in custody over an allegation that was not the basis of her initial arrest.
“We are not asking anyone to prejudge the case. We are asking that the allegations, the evidence and the circumstances surrounding the remand be properly examined.”
Adeniyi said the family was hoping that the next court proceedings would provide an opportunity for the issues surrounding the fresh allegation and her mother’s continued detention to be properly addressed.
“We are deeply worried about her continued detention, and that is why we are bringing this matter to the attention of the public,” she said.