Residents say they fear further attacks as the armed group is reportedly attempting to cross into the forest boundary again.
Suspected gunmen have killed at least two people and abducted more than 100 people, mostly women and children in Gamdum Mallam, Bukkuyum, Zamfara State.
The attackers stormed the village around midday on Saturday, riding dozens of motorbikes and firing indiscriminately, village head Muhammadu Mai Anguwa told Reuters.
"They killed and kidnapped many women and children, and took them towards Makakari forest," he said.
Huzaifa Isa, a resident of Gamdum Mallam, said the assailants split into two groups.
"One group was kidnapping people and livestock, while the other set up a roadblock at Adafka's main entrance, shooting at anyone who tried to pass," he said.
"We were being treated like slaves in our own land, as if there is no government."
Local lawmaker Hamisu Faru confirmed the incident by phone.
"At least 100 people have been abducted since Saturday morning," Faru said.
"The bandits attacked Nasarawa Burkullum under heavy rain, crossed the river into nearby villages, and abducted 46 more people in Ruwan Rana village."
Residents say they fear further attacks as the armed group is reportedly attempting to cross into the forest boundary again.
Zamfara police did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
SaharaReporters reported on Wednesday that a newly released report by SBM Intelligence, titled “Economics of Nigeria’s Kidnap Industry,” revealed that Zamfara State recorded the highest number of kidnappings in Nigeria between July 2024 and June 2025.
The report shows that 1,203 people were abducted in Zamfara, followed by 629 in Kaduna, 566 in Katsina, and 358 in Sokoto. Other states affected include Niger (239), Borno (205), Kebbi (172), Kogi (158), Kwara (140), Benue (128), Enugu (123), and Ondo (92).
Looking at the number of kidnapping incidents, Katsina led with 131 cases, Kaduna had 123, Zamfara 113, Niger 50, and Delta 49.
SaharaReporters previously reported that the report revealed that kidnappers across Nigeria demanded a total of ₦48 billion in ransom between July 2024 and June 2025.
It noted that kidnappers had grown increasingly audacious, demanding staggering sums for ransom. Of the ₦48,009,590,000 total sought, the highest ransom stemmed from the March 15, 2025, abduction of Chidimma and Precious Enuma, along with their aunt, Anwuri Oko Ye, in Ebedei Ukwuole community, Ukwuani Local Government Area, Delta State.
Meanwhile, the report paints an alarming macroeconomic picture, stating that “while ransom payments in naira reach record highs (₦2.56 billion paid against ₦48 billion demanded), their dwindling dollar value (just $1.66 million) exposes an industry cannibalising itself”.