Meanwhile, earlier, the authorities disclosed that six passengers were injured on after a Kaduna-bound passenger train derailed.
At least one person was killed on Tuesday when a Kaduna-bound passenger train derailed at KM 49, between Kubwa and Asham stations along the Abuja–Kaduna rail line.
SaharaReporters learnt that the victim was in the toilet at the time of the derailment, which caused several coaches to overturn.
“One person died on the train while some people were injured,” an eyewitness said.
“The one who died was in the toilet when it happened.”
Meanwhile, earlier, the authorities disclosed that six passengers were injured on after a Kaduna-bound passenger train derailed.
A statement signed by Bimbo Olawumi Oladeji, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Safety Investigation Bureau (NSIB), stated that a team of investigators had been deployed to the site to gather evidence, interact with stakeholders, and initiate a comprehensive investigation into the derailment.
“Current information available indicates that six persons sustained injuries, and no recorded fatalities. A go-team has been deployed to the site to gather evidence, engage relevant stakeholders, and commence an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the accident,” the statement said.
“The Bureau sympathises with those injured and extends its support to all passengers affected. The investigation will focus on identifying the direct and underlying factors that led to the derailment, with the aim of issuing safety recommendations to prevent a recurrence.”
The Director-General of NSIB, Captain Alex Badeh, also expressed sympathy with the victims, vowing that the cause of the derailment would be thoroughly investigated.
“We deeply sympathise with all who sustained injuries. The Bureau has deployed investigators to the site to ensure the root cause of this derailment is uncovered. Our commitment is to ensure safer rail transport for Nigerians through a transparent and independent investigation,” Badeh said.
SaharaReporters had earlier broken the news about the train derailment, noting that several passenger coaches were overturned.
Later, the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC), in a statement signed by its Managing Director, Kayode Opeifa, confirmed the incident, noting that emergency rescue operations, including medical personnel, had been mobilised to the scene.
NRC said the incident occurred “at about 11.09 at KM 49 between Kubwa station and Asham station”.