Abducted ex-NYSC DG freed 56 days after

21 hours ago 24

The abducted former Director General, National Youth Service Corps, Brig.-Gen. Maharazu Tsiga (retd.), has reportedly regained freedom after spending 56 days in his abductors’ den.

The release of Tsiga was disclosed by a family member, Shamsuddeen Badaru, via a Facebook post on Wednesday.

Tsiga was abducted on February 5, 2025, in his hometown of Tsiga, the Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State, along with at least nine others.

The bandits killed one person during the attack.

Despite payment of ransom by his family, his abductors still held him captive for weeks.

PUNCH Metro reported that there were conflicting figures regarding the ransom paid earlier.

While some claimed the sum of N60m was paid, other reports claimed the actual money paid for his release is thrice higher than that.

Also, there had been a report of his release but Brig. General Ismaila Abdullahi (retd.) told journalists in an interview that the former NYSC DG was still with the kidnappers.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer of Katsina State Command said, “I will get back as soon as it is confirmed.”

Efforts to speak with the family members also proved abortive as their phone contacts could not be reached as at the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, announcing Tsiga’s release on Wednesday, Badaru wrote, “Alhamdulillah. Brigadier General Maharazu I. Tsiga is free.”

Abductions by suspected bandits have become increasingly common in Katsina in recent times.

A report by PUNCH Metro highlighted a similar incident in which four students were kidnapped from Paris Quarters, located behind the Federal University, Dutsinma, in Katsina State.

Read Entire Article