Osun Election: Residents Chant ‘Thieves!’ At APC Governors, Chieftains Leaving State After Defeat | Sahara Reporters
A video clip seen by SaharaReporters showed the convoy of the APC leaders driving out of the state capital as some residents shouted “Ole” at the vehicles.
Several All Progressives Congress (APC) governors and party chieftains were seen leaving Osogbo, Osun State capital in long convoys in the early hours of Sunday, amid chants of “Ole” (Thieves) from residents lining the road.
A video clip seen by SaharaReporters showed the convoy of the APC leaders driving out of the state capital as some residents shouted “Ole” at the vehicles.
The development came hours after the collation of results from the 30 local government areas of the state showed that the incumbent governor, Ademola Adeleke of the Accord Party, had secured a majority of the votes in Saturday’s governorship election.
The Independent National Electoral Commission subsequently declared Adeleke the winner, with 511,067 votes, against the 444,815 votes recorded by the APC candidate, Bola Oyebamiji.
The video showed several vehicles believed to be carrying APC governors and other party leaders moving in a convoy out of the state, while residents gathered along the route jeered and chanted “Ole” as the vehicles passed.
The APC had mobilised several of its governors and senior officials to Osun during the election campaign and voting period in support of Oyebamiji.
The election was marked by allegations and counter-allegations from the rival political camps, including claims of intimidation, vote-buying and attempts to interfere with the electoral process.
Adeleke had earlier raised an alarm shortly after casting his ballot in Ede North Local Government Area, alleging that the APC had brought a police officer from Port Harcourt to disrupt the election.
“There is one police officer called London from Port Harcourt, they brought him to come and disorganise the vote. So I am calling on the Inspector General of Police and all the security agents to watch out and be on the lookout,” Adeleke said on Saturday.
He also alleged that there was an attempt to bypass the established electoral collation process by moving results directly to collation centres.
“The APC in Osun brought him to come and destroy my town,” Adeleke alleged, urging security agencies to ensure that results were transmitted through the prescribed process from polling units to wards and local government areas.
After his victory was confirmed, Adeleke described the outcome as “a victory for democracy” and thanked Osun voters for supporting his administration.
He said his administration would repay the people’s confidence by accelerating development across the state.
“This is the Osun people saying ‘Thank you, Mr Governor.’ I will repay that ‘thank you’ back by making sure that I have a vision,” Adeleke said.
“My vision is to make sure Osun State moves from civil service state to industrial state and make sure all across Osun State development is on.”
The governor also said he expected Oyebamiji, the APC candidate, to congratulate him.
“I expect Oyebamiji, as a civilised person, to call and congratulate me,” Adeleke said.
He also thanked President Bola Tinubu for calling to congratulate him on his victory.
“Mr President has called me, and he has congratulated me. Thank you, Mr President, for making sure democracy lives on because we fought for it,” he said.
Adeleke, who expressed confidence throughout the election that he would prevail, attributed his victory to his faith.
“I have a God who never fails, who will never fail forevermore,” he said.
The governor’s victory gives him another term in office after defeating the APC candidate in a closely watched election that had attracted nationwide attention.